Valeria Salas Montero (valsamo) is a visual artist graduated from the major of Arts and Visual Communication at the National University of Costa Rica. She has specialized in fiction filmmaking, video art, documentaries, hybrids and experimental animations during her artistic career.
Valeria considers that the arts that have formed her as a creative can be merged into cinematographic pieces. That is one of the main reasons why Valeria has always experimented and created audiovisual works.
She has developed a style that combines realism, with expressionism. For her, filmmaking has become a way of surviving and of understanding of her surroundings; that is why creating stories give her wings in order to continue developing her creativity, while writing, photographing, and overall, filming.
NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF COSTA RICA
2017-2021: Bachelor and Lic of Arts and Visual Communication
UNIVERSITY OF COSTA RICA
Bachelor of English Teaching (in progress)
AGA CINE / EMBASSY OF SPAIN IN GUATEMALA
2021: Scholarship – Costa Rican Representation :
Laboratory of film made by women in Central America.
FILMOTECA COSTA RICA
2021: Full Workshop on Filmmaking and Documentary
by Gustavo Sánchez
2021: Full workshop on Filmmaking production
by Adriana Cordero
2020: Full Workshop on Contemporary Filmmaking
by Ishtar Yasín
2020: Full Workshop on Filmmaking
by Aarón Acuña
2020: Full Workshop on Scriptwriting
by Aarón Acuña
DELE FOCO ACADEMY
2019: Full Workshop on Filmmaking
by Antonio Yglesias
2018: Full workshop on ethics and aesthetics in documentary filmmaking by Leonardo Solano/University of Pittsburgh
2018: Full workshop on Latin American and contemporary documentary filmmaking by Leonardo Solano/ University of Pittsburgh
- Common Mirrors– Documentary /2021/ Director and Editor
International Film Festival of Costa Rica, Official Competition 2022.
- Brújula en el viento – Music Video / 2021/ Director, Editor, Producer
- Smell of coconut and Jasmine – Short Film/ 2021/ Director, Editor, Writer, Producer
Screened on Shnit Festival and MCHPM Guatemala Spain
- In Between Gray Hairs and Memories – Documentary/
2020 / Director of Photography
- Tálamo-Short Film /2020 / Codirector, Cowriter, Audiovisual Coordinator, Script writer.
Golden price at Veracruz International Film Festival (Experimental shortfilm)
- Artists want to make art no more -Short Documentary
Film /2020 /Director, Writer, Editor
- Simple things – Feature Film / 2020 /BTS creator
- Doyenne – Feature Film / 2018-2019 / Graphic Designer
OTHER EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCES
– Substance Films 2022 (currently): Production and filmmaking Assistant
-TeleSur 2022: Camera Woman
-QUINCE UCR Channel 2022: Animation and graphic design
-ICECU 2022: Animation
-Luciana Ruiz Jewelry 2020 -2021: Creative, photographer and Community Manager
-National University of Costa Rica 2021: Visual communicator, graphic designer, audiovisual producer
– Refugee Education Trust (RET International) 2019 – 2021: Visual communicator
– University of Costa Rica’s Radio Stations 2018- 2020: Production, writer, journalist, designer.
-SYKES 2018: Customer Service